Healthy and quick vegan recipe: Vegan burrito bowl
We love to share food at RESET! Our staff days always include a delicious and nutritious shared lunch with everyone bringing in one of their specialities. We decided to share some of our favourite healthy and quick recipes with you so that you too can share some tasty food with your friends!
Not only is this particular meal tasty, but it’s also a nutritionally diverse dish which includes four different types of veggies. Nutrition is so important not just for your physical health but your mental health too. A diverse diet could be the missing key to your health and happiness. Happy eating!
This plant-based meal is so delicious and satisfying! Completely free of animal products and packed with heaps of flavour and nutrition. This is a healthier and more environmentally friendly alternative to a meat-based alternative. Delicious and filling, this is the ideal meal to make in a big batch so you can take leftovers to work the next day. This is sure to satisfy your taste buds and your gut! We hope you enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 2)
200g of rice
200g of cherry tomatoes
Tin of sweetcorn
Tin of black beans
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
- We can start by preparing the rice. Rinse your rice in cold water until the water runs clear, then add to a pan with 400ml of water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil. When the water reaches boiling, cover with a lid and turn to low heat. Set a timer for 10 minutes. When the timer goes off, the water should be dry and the rice grains cooked. Remove from the heat and keep covered to steam cook for at least 10 minutes whilst you prep the rest of the meal.
- Put the black beans on medium heat and add cumin, salt and pepper (measure with the heart). Set aside.
- De-seed the chilli, peel 3 garlic cloves, halve the red onion and add to a frying pan with the tomatoes. When the tomatoes begin to blacken, remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Smash the avocado in a small bowl and set aside.
- Finely chop the other half of the red onion, coriander and 1 clove of garlic and add to the avocado with lime zest, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add the sweet corn with some chilli flakes. Cook for around 5 minutes.
- Preparing your salsa: Chop the chilli, garlic cloves, red onion and tomatoes you blackened earlier and pop in a bowl.
- Assemble the bowl with the rice, black beans, guacamole, sweetcorn and salsa.
- Top with vegan yoghurt, chopped coriander and a warmed-up tortilla wrap and enjoy!
I love making this meal because I can make a bigger batch and take it to work for lunch the next day and it ends up being a really cheap and tasty meal. You can also add any leftover veggies you have in the fridge!